In many ways Glulam is a most versatile construction material. Members can be manufactured in uniform or varying depth to give strength where it is required. They may be straight or curved to practically any shape, either for aesthetic reasons or to provide more structurally efficient designs than can be achieved with straight members.
Furthermore, Glulam is a proven product in countries like Europe, US, Korea, Japan, Australia and New Zealand for more than 50 years.
Glulam beams can be used instead of steel in a building structure, the followings distinct of kindness:
- Glulam timber possesses insulation qualities so that it helps to eliminate the thermal bridge between structure and sub structure.
- Glulam can be used as rafters, lintels, floor beam, column or decking and manufacture easier than most other structural materials. The capabilities of structural Glulam Timber are endless and over the years since it was first patented it has been used for bridges, swimming pools, large open planned office blocks and supports halls as the primary structure.
- Between steel or concrete material, Glulam weight is lower, thus it can be transported and erected cheaper and more cost effectively.
- Glulam can be used as timber frame structures for strength and aesthetic features like open roof galleries, trusses and balconies.
Glulam is one of the most environmentally friendly construction product compare to metal and cement in terms of the manufacturing process and the pollution it can bring about. The timber off-cuts has always been reused or recycled in making useful resources i.e Glulam Building Structure.
Glulam is a structural product used for headers, beams, girders, columns, and for heavy trusses. It is often used where the structure of a building is left exposed as an architectural feature. (see Figure 1).
It offers the architect artistic freedom without sacrificing structural requirements.
- Engineered strength, dependable quality.
- Splendid arches, custom designs, spectacular structure.
- Readily available, cost effective, easily installed.
- Fire Performance – Fire resistive construction.
- Better than Metal – Less energy consumption and pollution as compare to metal.
- Strong against attacks from salt, acid and alkaline contents.